Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Letter they would not publish, Censorship in the Crowsnest Pass

I have received a number of calls from people interested in the letter that the paper refused to publish, it was plain and simply an attempt to respond to the comments made about me by The Thunder in the Valley Committee last week. They presented the arguement that they did not want to provide me the opportunity to have "free" advertising in their paper. I attempted to explain my comments on the Thunder in the Valley weekend, and my clarification statement clearing showing that in no way was I attempting to attack that event, group or persons involved.
But I understand they own the paper and wish to create a certain mindset about myself in the eyes of the community.
I just find it hard to believe, especially after all the speechs I have heard over the years regarding "free speech," I feel its only fair if you are going to attack somebody that you are prepared to give them the opportunity to defend themselves.
But I guess if your goal is only to get one side of the story out, and make an individual look as bad as possible, so be it.


Dear Editor

In response to the Thunder in the Valley Committee, letter than appeared in the paper of June 1, 2010.
The comments related to myself, concerns information I posted on my own personnel blog. As regular readers of my blog are aware I am often asked questions about the municipality and especially about where our tax dollars are spent. I always attempt to answer every question that is directed to me, that is part of a councilors job, to address all taxpayers concerns.
Anyway, here is the rest of the story; on May 6, I posted my original comments, Titled “Thunder in the Valley”
“Great weekend that draws lots of people in to the Valley, and is a boon for most of our businesses, every year I am asked what does it cost us the taxpayers. So here are the budget numbers for 2010.Donation for Fireworks $4500, Traffic Control $6200, Policing $10000, Garbage + Toilets $11500, Activties + Entertainers $18000, Total $50200This number does not allow for any municipal wages that go into the weekend.”
This came about from a number of people that requested from me what Thunder in the Valley weekend costs the taxpayers of the Crowsnest Pass. I did not get a whole lot of reaction outside of my blog until a few people approached me last week, so I went back to my comments and realized that the comments needed clarification.
On May 27 I posted the following comments, Titled “Thunder in the Valley Clarification” Taken a bunch of heat in the last few days about my post May 6 2010 "Thunder in the Valley"So today I am going to clarify things so a few narrow minded people do not take the opportunity to make political hay out of my comments.Yes, I made a mistake on the title it should have been Rum Runner Days & Thunder in the Valley. I did not intend to focus all of the attention on just Thunder in the Valley.Second the reason for the post, often I receive requests on where "your" tax dollars are spent, when I am asked I attempt to supply that information, I was asked in person via email and phone what the taxpayers spent on this weekend, I posted that information.For example, I was asked last week how much we spent on snow clearing this year versus last, why would I not supply that information?Do I has a councilor have the right to say I am not going to tell you?
Third, I have been accused of attacking groups that put this event on, not true read the post whom do I attack in my post. Look at the words “Great weekend that draws lots of people in to the Valley" which of those words are negative?"and is a boon for most of our businesses" which of those words are negative? quite the contrary I think they speak very positively about the whole weekend.Now do I have concerns about this weekend? of course when you have 30,000 people here if one percent of them are idiots that is 300 people, (could do a lot of damage in a small town). Yes, I see that side of it, I work that weekend as a jail guard at the local RCMP establishment and I see what those people have to contend with.
As far as the comments to my post, I post almost all of the comments that I receive go back and read some of the Crowsnest Centre stuff on this Blog some of the comments I received they were not all favorable to myself. The only comments I have refused to post since I started this blog were a couple of which I believed to be libel, and a couple of comments that made fun of a local person’s medical condition.Anyway, back to the point of this "clarification" the original post was presented as an answer to questions I was asked by taxpayers. In addition, under no circumstances was it an attack on any individual or group(s), and if somebody took it that way I apologize.The idiots put aside this weekend brings a lot of good, business, and publicity to this town”
If you wish to read the original comments they are all available at http://crowsnestpasshome.blogspot.com/ further if you do not agree with something I have to say, or a position I take, you can always contact me through my blog, via email, phone or in person.

Thanks
Dean Ward

4 comments:

John Prince said...

The Herald censoring you does not surprise me. What does surprise me is that it took them so long to do it.

A while back I wrote a letter to the editor in which the Promoter printed it but the Herald did not. This was not the first time they did this.

They are hypocrites and cowards whose double standards on fairness and freedom of speech speaks volumes about who they really are and what they truly represent.

We know you were just doing your job, reporting the facts and figures, and in doing so did nothing wrong with respect to your Thunder in the Valley comments, but the Herald would like the public to think otherwise.

They are a tyranical and despicable lot and a pox on our community of communities. The sooner our community starts to 'censor' them the sooner we will all be able to move forward to a brighter future. Only then will 'mountain freedom' truly reign in this valley.

p.s. I don't always agree with you Dean but I believe as an elected official, or simply as a resident, you have a right to your opinion and should be heard. As Voltaire famously said, "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

Crowsnest Pass Home said...

John

Good comments, and your PS is 100% right.
It goes two ways I do not always agree with you neither but that democracy, and the way it should be.
I cannot speak to your term on council John but on my first one.
I always found it strange that we had a councilor that would rant and rave about our fearless leader for what seemed like hours up on never ending hours, but then turn around and vote with him 95% of the time.
Was that your experience also?
I wish the citizens of the Crowsnest would do a little more research they would be amazed.

Anonymous said...

Did the Promoter print your letter?

I'm surprised anybody in our community takes the Herald seriously anymore.... it's more like the Promoter's 'opening act'... some comedy to get you in a good mood before you start reading the valley's only REAL newspaper... and that's not saying much!!!

Anonymous said...

Both papers miss the truth and facts. The promotor only puts certain editorials on the internet to save face of some of the lying idiots in the Pass. I have caught the promotor in a few lies over the years and their reporters would not know the facts even if it hit them in the face. The promotor is the farthest from the truth. I believe some people like the promotor in the pass because they can lie due to the fact the reporters are always changing, they're not too bright and the company is owned by a company in Quebec. The cannot even get our history information right. The promotor is biased, prejudice and only prints and publishes what they are allowed. The pass wouild be a better place if the bullies, liars and thiefs left. I am a seventh generation to pass and have seen enough shit to make me embarassesd of where I came form.