Monday, June 14, 2010

Looking for historical information on Crowsnest Pass Councils

I was asked the following by one of my readers can anybody help, I know some of the details but not all.

"Different question I was reading the various Corporate reviews available on the Municipal Site.
Came accross the following comments from the Review of May 17,2000.
"There is currently a perception of block voting by the Mayor and councillors, with many items receiving the same spilt vote.
"Which Mayor was this, who were the councillors and what was the spilt?
None of these people would be sitting on the present council would they?
I think I know the answer and the word hypocrit, is flowing through my mind."
Jerry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Irwin was Mayor
Councillors were Prince, Syqutek, Marra, Rejman.
Can't remember the other two.
Was this the council the RCMP got involved with.

John Prince said...

I can answer this. Irwin was the Mayor at that time (1998-2001) and he had Gail Sygutek, Vance Bellerose and Walter Littlewood in his corner throughout the term in what we know to be block voting. It was common knowledge at the time that they would meet at the Pass Herald on a regular basis prior to council meetings, but Gail did not have a problem with that at that time, or with the block voting, as she and the Herald have now with this present council? You are right, 'hypocrites' is a good word to describe these people.

btw/ Jerry Rejman, Gail Montgomery and myself were in the minority for most of the term... until one by one they too jumped ship at the end. Leaving moi to do battle alone.

Anonymous said...

Dean,
How many years has Irwin been mayor?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 9:37 AM, the answer is "far too many."