Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Crowsnest Council Meeting November 16, the thoughts of a former Councilor

First of all I found it very interesting that Mayor Decoux would bring forth Notices of Motions regarding the Crowsnest Centre, River Run Project, the duplication of Services and Facilities for the April/May time frame.
See http://crowsnestpasshome.blogspot.com/2010/11/crowsnest-pass-council-meeting-november.html
Then announce that this time frame is to coincide with the release of the report from his Economic Task Force.
Whats puzzling his that the task force as not been put in place yet, it was on the agenda the last two weeks, but did not even show up this week, the public was told that it would have seven members and be given 90 days from its commencement of its duties to complete its report.
There as been no release of information on the much anticipated makeup of this committee, and when they will commence.
What raises this concern, well first of all the Mayor did state when he was a candidate for election that this task force would be struck within two weeks of the election. (At least that's the way I heard it) I would assume that struck means more than council agreeing to do it.
The second thing that raises my concern is the time frame, the G+P meeting for next week is cancelled, so even if this issue comes forth at the next council meeting Dec 7.
It only leaves 118 days from there until the first Notice Of Motion April 5th, take out two weeks for Christmas and New Years, a week for Administration and Council to review it leaves 97 days to do the study, works in theory but I suspect very ambitious to say the least.


Second issue from last night, Municipal advertising review which came up under other Business I like most people after the last meeting assumed that there was going to be a Motion made to accept the recommendation to advertise in both papers.
The Mayor raised the issue of finding out just a mere few hours prior to the meeting that the Municipality had a exclusive deal with the Promoter until the end of the year and requested that it be tabled to allow administration to look at the legalities of this issue.
At that time I said to myself no big deal they will just pass it in two weeks.

What made me take a second look at this was later in the meeting the Public Input session a resident by the name of Siegfried Sajitz stood up raised his concerns making a number of points about the advertising.
One of which really caught my attention, how does Council give a clear indication that it is going to advertise in both papers and direct administration to go negotiate the best deal with both papers.
In my humble brain the light went on, imagine going in to a car dealer telling him that you are definitely going to buy a car at this dealership now give me the best deal you can.

The point in my opinion, the Mayor is buying time, why would you waste taxpayers dollars on getting a legal opinion on a contract that ends in 44 days.
Simple the Municipality is paying $180 a week for a one page ad in the Promoter, that price came as the result of a bidding process. Eliminate the bidding process that drove that price, indicate to the previous bidders that you are going to pay for there services anyway. Then tell administration to go negotiate the best deal with them.
What would I do if I was in the papers shoes, I would say thanks for this opportunity, now here is my price ?$.
How would I come to a price? well I would look back at what we used to charge $7-800 a page and think well we don't want to appear to be greedy and more importantly make the previous council right, so we will go in say around $600 a page, with the intent that if the Municipality cries enough we will come back at say the $450-500 per page.
Why is all of this relevant, well put the pieces together the Mayor is buying time for a reason that is really not relevant and right now administration is going through the crying process, is it really called bargaining?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not understand the Riverrun potential motion.The land is owned by Bridgecreek and their investors, I hope the Mayor is not going to jump into bed with these guys.
I am thinking they probably are not paying their taxes on that land and will go into default anyway.
As for the advertising, its a joke, it should have been left the way it was.
Unfortunately, it looks like we have a 1 man show and 6 followers.I hope I am wrong.Come on guys, think for yourselves.

Anonymous said...

Dean
Couple of points.
I am waiting to see what the Task Force brings forward I just hope its not another promote tourism, attract small businesses and keep on doing what we have been doing.
Next you made a good point during the election, where would we put highway commercial? maybe thats why he is bringing forth the Crowsnest Centre.
Lastly I agree with you completly about the advertising.
Its now a no win situation the cost of advertising is going way up and everybody around town is saying why?

Anonymous said...

"Tasks Force" What a slap in the face to the groups that are already in place!! (Community Futures, Chamber of Commerce, The Crowsnest Revitalization Initiative,) Just to name a few.
Are we the taxpayers going to have any say in who is on this "task force", or has it already been hand picked and assembled with puppet strings?

Anonymous said...

Dean? " 97 days to do the study, works in theory but I suspect very ambitious to say the least."
Ambitious yes, assuming they have not been holding "private meetings" and have the results they expect to be brought forward by the "task force" already in place.

Advertising— I do not blame the newspapers here. It is just smart business on their part to be going for it. But I find it embarrassing that it is even being discussed by our council, even more embarrassing that they all agreed to spend our tax dollars on getting legal advice around it?? What is it they are so afraid of here?

Dean, you should submit a request for funds. I noticed coverage of the council meetings is on your blog before the municipality web site or either paper.