Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A lesson as been learnt!

After my crushing defeat at the hands of the voters on October 18. I decided that I was going to take some time, to figure out why, analyze the positions I had taken over the last six years. Take the three year break handed to me, watch what the new council does, learn from the mistakes that I made and hopefully in 2013 take another run at council offering the public a wiser and more experienced candidate.
Therefore, I toiled from Oct 19 to Nov 2, thinking a lot about the last six years. I thought to myself obviously I upset some people with the Crowsnest Centre, some people with the elimination of ice in the Albert Stella, some were upset about the Community Standards Bylaw, the River Run project, the changes in management, even last weeks paper somebody was upset about us not hiring “more” municipal employees.
Then I went to a Council meeting the night of November 2, Ms Lisa Sygutek made a presentation to Council regarding the issue of advertising in both local papers. To my surprise near the end of her presentation she went on a little rant about how the voters in the Crowsnest Pass had sent a clear message to the new council that they were not happy with the previous council, and this was due to the fact that they had chosen not to “communicate” with the public by refusing to place municipal advertising in both papers.
My first reaction was this is nuts, I lost the election because I refused to spend taxpayers money advertising in both papers.
Then I said to myself I should think about this, maybe it’s not nuts. Maybe the last three years of all those articles written with a slight negative slant, all those editorials attacking every thing the majority of the previous council supported, maybe that little ad on the key page of the paper with the 45 weeks to the next election did have an impact, so I decide I need to think about this a little more, maybe just maybe there is a lesson to be learnt here.
In the meantime, I go back to Council for their Committee meeting on November 9, on the agenda is the issue of advertising I am looking forward to the debate.
About three minutes in I realize these new councilors are obviously much smarter than the previous council, (despite the comments presented, which I will address later), they have already learnt the lesson above. They want the positive headlines, the glowing editorials; they do not want to see the countdown to the next election under the Bricks and Bouquets.
An old politician once said the moment an election is over the campaign for the next one begins.
I tip my hat to the quick learners.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that is the sadest thing about politics.If you do what is the right thing, often enough, you do not get reelected.
But if that is a lesson you have learnt then you will not get my vote.There is no point of going on council if you are afraid of not being reelected.Councilors must always do what they believe is in the best interest of the community and not what it takes to get reelected.Some day the voters will understand this...hopefully.

Crowsnest Pass Home said...

Sorry for the confusion I am not suggesting for a moment that this is the lesson I have learnt.
I am talking about what others have learnt.
I strongly believe that this council jumped on board with this issue 100% because they feared going through what we did the last three years, nothing to do with the "right" thing for the community.
Please read my later post about the Food Bank and their request.

I will run for council again and if somebody choices to slam me for the next three years because I believe that the advertising should be put out for bids, to get the best deal for the taxpayers too bad.

I even voted the first year for the Herald to have the advertising, why? because they had the low bid that year. Simple "policy" the low bidder gets it. Done

Crowsnest Pass Home said...

For anonymous I thank you for your vote of support and will be looking for it again in three years. I strongly believe in your comments.

Thank you again

Anonymous said...

I took the "lesson learnt" comment as being tongue in cheek - I really hope that this new council does start to show a bit of backbone, and more importantly, stick to their campaign promises. They were elected to make the right decisions, not the popular ones.

Dean, I voted for you and will vote for you again. Thanks for having the guts to make the decisions that best served this community while you were on council.